Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday, July 30, 2009

I've Been Thinking...


Lately I have been doing some thinking...about my thinking. Anyone who knows me knows that I love to think. In fact, my favorite thing is to be alone with my thoughts. To me my mind is my greatest asset. But as I have been thinking about my thinking I have noticed a big problem.

This morning when I woke up, all I could think about was what I needed to do for the kids, for work, for my research. I was thinking about Hubby and all that he needs and wants. I then started thinking about household issues--bills and projects and such. I also thought about my students and whether they would be prepared for today's exam. By the time I took a mental break, I thought about how I had taken no time today to think about my personal goal of loosing weight!

Immediately, I tried to think about how I could have possibly not thought about something that is so important. Then, I thought about how this was always the case when it comes to me thinking about me. I always seem to think about me last! And by the time I start thinking about me, I am too tired to even think about all I need to be thinking about. So, I think to myself, "I will definitely think about me first thing in the morning". But, yup you guessed it, when I wake up all I can do is think of everything but me.

As you can see, the problem is that I let so many things stand in the way of my weight loss goals. Even something as simple as thinking has become a barrier! Thankfully, I have realized that there is a problem. After all, admission is the first step to recovery. So, I am deciding today to keep my goal of weight loss at the forefront of my mind. That means I will spend a little less time obsessing about the needs of others, contemplating work and home responsibilities, and much less time dwelling on unimportant thoughts that only weigh down my mind.

Don't get me wrong, I will still be doing a lot of thinking. I will just be thinking more about what I need to do to reach my goal. By making this small but significant change, I am sure I will be well "on my weigh"!

No comments:

Post a Comment