Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Friday, April 2, 2010

Running Until I'm Tired...

Spring is here and I am once again feeling inspired! The past few months of this weight loss journey were very difficult. It all felt so mundane, monotonous and down-right pointless at times. I was persistent but not without great struggle. Nevertheless, I have found fresh inspiration and I am once again going hard and going strong!

I did my second 5K last weekend and I decided that would be the kick-off of my working more intently to become a runner. If you recall, in my New Year's post, I stated that one of my goals for this year is to add running into my weekly exercise routine. I ran my first mile back in January but did not continue with it until this week. It is amazing that in such a short time, I am actually able to run more than 15 seconds without feeling like I am going to die. I am not even close to where I want to be, but I am taking it step by step.

My long-term goal is to be able to run the entire 5K in September. This is a huge leap so I decided that I will devote this next six months to training. I have done a lot of reading on running and I have found a very manageable training plan. The best advice for beginning runners that I have come across is to "walk until you're bored and to run until you're tired". I am not sure why but when I read this advice, something in my head clicked. My dream of becoming a runner somehow became so much more feasible.

So that is what I have been doing for the past few days--walking until I am bored and running until I am tired. At this point, I walk .10 miles and run .10 miles. until I complete a mile. I usually continue power-walking for an additional mile. My goal is increase the distance that I run and decrease the walking. I will do this until I am able to run a complete 5K. At that point, I will set an even greater goal.

Having this goal of becoming a runner has put purpose back into my workouts and weight loss efforts. I feel so driven and excited to continue this amazing journey. Perhaps you are looking for fresh inspiration this spring. I would encourage you to think about your goal and find a way to work intently towards it. I guarantee that once you do, you will find yourself like me...back on my weigh!

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl! I know I owe you a call, visit, and email. I'm so in debt. :-) I checked out one of your running links and am seriously contemplating starting to run again...Keep at it, even through times you feel unmotivated, you are motivating others (like me)

    ReplyDelete