Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Diet-to-Go(ne)

About two months ago, I decided that it was time for me to stop ordering Diet-to Go and start preparing my own meals. This was an intimidating decision because I was not sure that I had the discipline or the know-how to come up with nutritious, calorie-controlled meals that would also be delicious and filling. Well, so far so good and I am doing it on my own. Here are a few things that I do to keep myself on track:

  • Always read nutritional labels. Before I buy or eat anything, I investigate the nutritional facts. I even go online to view the nutritional information for restaurants. In most cases, if something is too high in calories and/or fat, I avoid it. To some, the thought of getting so caught up in counting calories, fat grams and the like, maybe daunting. Even for me sometimes all I want to do is just enjoy a meal without having to be so technical. But, living a healthy lifestyle is about making informed choices. Having an understanding of what is in the foods I eat allows me to do so.

  • Stick to a serving size. When I am preparing my meals, I limit myself to one serving size. If twelve sweet potato fries will keep me at 130 calories, I literally count out the twelve. It can be tempting to throw in a few extras, but that would throw off my calorie count. Being the type A person that I am, the thought of things not being just right is enough to keep me in line.

  • Keep low calorie, low fat snacks handy. I do not let myself run out of fat-free yogurt, string cheese, fresh fruit and Special K protein shakes. These items are great on the go and they keep me from feeling so hungry that I end up in a McDonald's drive-thru!

Of course, I could go on and on. It seems that every week, I discover a new trick to help me to continue on my weigh. I am so excited and proud of myself for initiating and maintaining these lifestyle changes. I hope that you too are finding success as you reach for your goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment