Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, August 1, 2009

A New Verdict


It amazes me how many times in a given week (or day for that matter) that I feel guilty. You can name anything and I bet I have felt guilty about it at one time or another. The impetus for my latest guilt trip was making some healthier menu choices for my kids' birthday party. Instead of potato chips, I made a nice fruit salad. Instead of the big cake, I bought mini-cupcakes. Instead of the huge, sugar-filled juice pouches, I bought the Juicy Juice mini juice boxes. Sounds pretty simple right?...

With each healthy choice I made, I thought about how it would impact my party guests. After all, what is a barbecue without chips? And how can you call anything a birthday party without an ice cream cake from Baskin Robins? Furthermore, what kinda fun could kids have without the sugar-induced high from a juice pouch?! Isn't that what a kids' birthday party is all about? Well, for way too long, that has been the case for me.

In my mind, having a healthier party was like breaking a long-standing tradition. It was like dissociating from all I have come to know and love. I felt like I was giving up part of my identity and by doing so, distancing myself from family and friends who share the "traditional" notions of what a party entails. I didn't want to appear judgemental or like a "goody-two-shoes". I just didn't want to offend anyone. And the possibility that it might happen made me feel guilty.

This experience, as awkward as it felt, was so eye-opening for me. I realized yet another weight that has held me back from reaching my goals--the weight of the guilty verdict. There is a constant court trial going on inside of us all. On one side, there are our goals, hopes and dreams for a better future. They plead their case with us and try to convince us to move forward to greatness. On the other side is the jury--made up of all our old habits, traditions and mindsets. Just as we are ready to follow our goals, hopes and dreams, the jury of old habits, traditions and mindsets gives their verdict. GUILTY! Immediately, we are once again confined and our goals, hopes and dreams are left to wait.

I don't know about you but I am ready for a new verdict. Why should I feel guilty for making the changes that I feel are necessary to reach my goals? Why should I let what is behind me constantly dictate what is before me? I am deciding to move forward without guilt and regret and those around me will have to either get with it or get out of my way! The beautiful thing is, those who truly love and care for me will indeed get with it and will help me "on my weigh".


(By the "weigh", I am happy to report that my healthier party was a great success and fun was had by all. I am also happy to report that I am down 5 pounds! Finally, I really appreciate all the positive feedback I have received about my blog. It inspires more than you all will ever know. Together, we are all definitely "on our weigh" to all we want in life!)

No comments:

Post a Comment