Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Calorie Counting Craziness

Calorie counting is a necessary part of any weight loss endeavor. As they say, "you can't manage what you don't measure." While I understand how important calorie counting is, it makes me crazy sometimes. And now is definitely one of those times!

I have been feeling a bit confused as to whether I am eating enough for my size and activity level. My Fitness Pal says I should eat 1880 calories per day, and the other calorie calculators say I should be close to 2200 per day. Then there is the obsessive voice in my head telling me to stay around 1400 calories per day. With all of these numbers swirling around in my head, what is a girl to do?!

On the one hand, I want to trust the higher estimates. I know that you have to sufficiently fuel your metabolism to lose weight. But, then I am fearful about eating too much and gaining weight as a result. I know that 1400 calories is probably not enough, so I will let that one go. So that leaves me with 1880 or 2200 calories per day.

Hubby suggested that instead of getting stuck on a rigid number, I should shoot for a range. On my very intense workout days, I should eat closer to the 2200 calories. On rest days and days that my workout is not as intense, I should stay closer to the 1880 calories. I suppose that Hubby is right. He is always so sensible about things, whereas I tend to be very rigid and legalistic.

So my plan for the next few weeks is to stay within a range of 1880-2200 per day. I will see how things go weight-wise and I will make the necessary adjustments. I will let you know how it goes!

2 comments:

  1. So glad to see you back! I am looking forward to "cheerleading" you and DD at the 5K in June! About the calorie counting...WeightWatchers gives everything a "point" and I believe each point is about 100 calories. They alot you so many points per your weight and weight loss goals. I will look it up and get back to you (and "no" I'm not doing weightwatchers now-smile). I agree with your hubby - a range is best and keeping it flexible is even better - gotta keep the body guessing or it will flake out on us!
    I'm cheering for you! Hip-Hip AWAY! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Ms. Roane. I stayed away too long, but I an glad to be back. I have thought about WW. I did it several years ago and I liked it. Can't remember why I stopped. In any case, I am looking forward to the 5K. It should be great!

    ReplyDelete